IN REVERSE

My words end
on the tip of your tongue
as I try to squeeze the moment
for the last kiss
that you clearly didn’t want.
You chased me
to make me chase you back,
yet your eyes started wandering somewhere else
as a result.
That awkward moment,
when my hands wanted to touch you
and I knew you would regret
me doing so,
that’s why I had to tame my urge
to have you,
hidden under layers and layers
of winter clothing,
as a reminder to myself
that it’s the only heat I’m getting
right now.
You evoked a fire in me
that died with the wetness of
the tip of your tongue.
Just a tiny touch
was enough to make me
die.

51 thoughts on “IN REVERSE

1. pastdanger says:

Sad. When the thrill of the chase is more appealing than the thrill of a the touch of deft fingers, or the kiss of eager lips.

2. Salty Frosting says:

In the spirit of reverse, I switched the “you”s for “me”s and the “I”s for “you”s …. It’s amazing how the emotion and relatability changes with the perspective …. I also like the concept of tiny touches having of much power (a life or death result) , whereas smothering (as with the jacket) has little effect … Reverse indeed!

3. Jordan says:

What a terrible way to die…with that fire lit only to be extinguished once the fire inside was burning the brightest. I felt a lump in my throat reading this because I could sympathise with your character. The need and a want for someone that has shown such great interest and then it’s just wasted away in that moment of the first touch…like a candle reaching the end of its wick prematurely. I always blamed myself for instances like this. Thinking I had waited to long that by the time I caught her she was already a ghost. Or that I had just built the moment up to much that it just wasn’t what I had envisioned. Thank you Chatty for this poem! I love your work and this is no exemption. You always speak of feelings and very human situations. It’s gorgeous and so painfully real. I could never pass the chance to delve into your work. Thank you!

I can tell only one thing. It is very difficult to deal with the feeling of rejection, no matter if feelings are involved or not. It’s the broken pride and the feeling that you are not enough as a person. Meh.

• J.R.Taylor says:

Very truthful…especially after we have invested so much time in being the person that we think the other would like. It’s draining. Tiring. And disheartening. Making you cold and self conscious. I’m sorry Chatty. My wordsmithtress.

5. claudytheartist says:

Owl,
    Your words are so good and just in a league of your own. You should be in so many magazines from Cosmo to Hustler. You need a great publicist. You really are so uniquely talented and I am so glad to have the honor reading you scorching hot and very personal and intimate poetry. I would love to see you write a screen play or something with dialogue. Hollywood needs you and I bet would find your words as steamy as I do…. Your biggest fan to date I am sure….. claudy