ABOVE THE GROUND

A hundred thousand feet
above the ground,
and all I can think of
is your arms,
full of me.
I was marking days in a calendar,
awaiting that moment
of our half-full glasses
making an overflow of feelings,
but now
I’m drinking myself stupid
and my glass
is always empty
instead.
Yes, they say
that
time heals all wounds,
but I’m self-harming myself
to oblivion,
making the irony sweet
the sarcasm sweeter.
I’m re-reading your letters
as others try to decipher my moods
and palms,
and even the remains
of my old coffee.
I leave them all
blank-faced and confused,
because
I hide it so well.
A hundred thousand feet
above the ground.

52 thoughts on “ABOVE THE GROUND

1. Poetoria says:

Hey Chatty Owl…just bought the Paperback edition of your book on Amazon. Can’t wait to have it in my hands ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Rosh says:

Goosebumps…I felt every word
    ‘Yes, they say
    that
    time heals all wounds,
    But I’m self-harming myself
    To oblivion’

Just amazing!

3. Viraj Belgaonkar says:

a hundred thousand feet above
    in a lair among the stars
    i feelings stay hidden
    in the shadow of our scars…

that was so melencholically beautiful… if i may dare to coin a new word..:-)

4. JK says:

Time heals all wounds? No that’s a fallacy. Time does nothing but cast a heavy cloak over old wounds so one day the victim might forget the pain and try again. It works sometimes, but some wounds won’t placidly lie beneath the cloak, preferring instead to bleed through the fabric forever reminding us of the ache beneath.

5. domtakis says:

I can relate. There were many times I had left my love on the ground at departure gates and that was hard enough but then I would be 30,000 ft in the air and find a note she had stashed for me amongst my carry on items and reading it would cripple me. I’d have to put on dark shades to conceal red tear filled eyes. The pain of pulling away is a potent emotion, always good fuel for words though, some solace in that.

Thanks for your comment. This is exactly what it is, the sentiment of not being together, but have something of a person, that brings one to tears.
      Glad you could relate, even on a sad note.

6. Pร–3TIC says:

playing it safe and staying grounded may seem logical and keep the glass half full, but in matters of the heart logic has no place because to deny ourselves whats in the glass defeats the purpose of having the glass in the first place! Love is not meant to be understood by the mind, its meant to be felt by the heart. Thats why Its power over us is both terrifying and transcendent at the same time.

That’s very true. Its the content feeling of being safe, not wanting to change, because changes, of course, are always scary. But I believe warm emotions always win, because heart is more powerful than mind.

• Pร–3TIC says:

Changes are only scary because we fear what we do not know. Funny enough, the changes we often fear the most bring about far better situations than the current ones we are in and seem to have no fear about. My greatest fear is not having the courage to leave a bad situation just because it’s more familiar than a far better one that is not.

7. Wordifull Melanie says:

Owl, I’ve just read and liked a few of your poems. I kept seeing your comments on Paul’s blog and finally decided to wander by. I’m only sorry I waited. I look forward to reading much more of your wonderful words.

8. words4jp says:

i can certainly say I understand the feeling expressed in this piece. Time does not heal all wounds – we carry them with us for what seems like forever – the question I am trying to figure out is when will I be able to lighten the load or just toss the luggage? Time is not affording me this.

Beautiful poem.

Sometimes i think that nobody forgets the past. We always carry that. But maybe we are so used to the weight, we stop noticing it and think that time healed?
      Thanks for such a beautiful comment.

9. steelmaster22 says:

Maybe time is not meant to heal entirely… as if to say that we are left with scars to remind us of the lessons we have learned… From here to there I offer my best thoughts to you…