RAIN

I enjoy
the sound of spilled water.
Not the one under the bridge,
but the one leaking from the sky
in the colour of dirty milk.
It soothes me.
The taste of it
reminds me of that coral sharpness
that we both feel in our throats
when I get under your skin
you get under my clothes –
I’m always one and a half
steps ahead of you.
Wrap up warm,
my actions sting more
than the white rain outside our windows.

54 thoughts on “RAIN

1. Eyagee says:

White rain….dirty milk colour…..makes me think you are writing about snow in the slushbelt, left-over steelmill polluted air of my hometown of Hamilton, Ontario(Not the end of the earth but you could see it from there).

This is so delicate but holds a deep fierceness that seems to want to explode. Just like that of the rain splashing against windows. Wonderfully creative analogies. You are a painter of words!

3. billgncs says:

I dreamed your seduction
    the cold rain a tool
    of steaming want
    cloaked in shivering goose bumped laughter
    dodging each drop
    until that moment I understood
    you were the seducer

4. Opinionated Man says:

That is why I haven’t posted, Eyagee is here lol =P
    Congrats on being published that is exciting, your about page won’t load on my tablet fully, too many comments? Rain makes me want to use the restroom btw. Nice poem though!

5. Bob says:

The poem has some great ideas and imagery, but i can’t help but feel it needed a little more ‘work’ to get the best out of them.

Nice to compare rain to milk, spilled milk to water under the bridge; coral sharpness to salty/sour taste in one’s mouth/throat and to the ‘sting’.

Maybe it would not ‘fit’ with your intent but i feel you missed one more connecting link that could help tie up the entire poem and make it a more cohesive whole… tears!

Tears ‘spilling’ like milky raindrops, stinging my eyes, salty taste like the coral sharpness hitting the back of our throats, water passing, not under the bridge but in rivulets of ‘pane’ as i stare through them and out to the rain.

Of course, tears may provide more of a sense of loss or weakness than was meant… but i’m sure your genius for twists could work past and through that. πŸ˜‰

and with the first 2 lines… i’m not sure spilled water has a sound once it has been spilled? and there is something about having “I enjoy” as the first two words of this creation.??

Do you ever ‘edit’ your works after you write them? Do you ever draw a skeleton structure before putting down the main wording to help with keeping the poem on theme or seeing where it may be improved?

Still no pictures huh? πŸ˜‰

Hey! Now that’s something to wake up to! Thanks. It thrills me to tears to see that you took time to think about my writings.
      Explanations πŸ™‚

“I enjoy the sound of spilled water” was to say that i enjoy the silence. (Hence the full stop there). Shame i didn’t make that more clear… Because exactly, spilled water has no more life left to it. Forgotten, still puddle.

Tears.. I dont like crying. Just like love, i try to not over-use references to that. But i agree with you, it would be very very fitting here!

Overall, I think all my writings have more to them, if i invested time to edit and tweak them. I have only gone back and re-wrote/edited three poems on my blog. In the end, i dont even like them anymore. I write, post and forget about them. No structure, no plan, just words at the instant moment. I should improve, i know, but im scared that if i start planning my poems, fussing with them, WORKING on them, they wont be as raw as i want them to be..

I dont know. I will give your advice a try for sure.

No, no pictures.

6. Bob says:

Thanks to this ‘shared’ language we have and our disparate understanding of individual words – i can sometimes miss the full intent of what is being said in your poetry – but as long as YOU are clear about what you mean (well. as clear as you wish/will let yourself be πŸ˜‰ ) that is what is most important here.

I thank you though for the explanation as i feel ‘better’ about the work now πŸ™‚

I thought you may feel that way about crying but i still bet you could have made that work well πŸ™‚

As a ‘spur of the moment’ thing ( usually the way i write the few poems i have done) i have to say i do like all that you show here… πŸ™‚
    i have faith though that you would have the passion and the talent to be able to ‘plan’ a truly great poem should you one day take on the ‘fear’ face to face..

And Thank You ! for taking the time to stop by today! πŸ™‚